The land of Vegemite and stuff

| | Comments (0)

Wow, that is a lot of travel in 3 days, but the worst is behind me. It started with 2 hours from Lhasa to Chengdu, then 4 hours from Chengdu to Seoul the next day, followed by 10 hours from Seoul to Sydney yesterday. After my 10 hour flight I arrived in Sydney at 7AM, took the train downtown to meet Brendan, and immediately drove about 8 hours south towards Melbourne.

We made it as far as some small beach town called Eden and found a motel to sleep in. It was actually quite nice, it had the best shower I have seen on this trip and the owner even let me do laundry for free. I looked at TV for the first time in about 3 weeks and even caught most of Gladiator while I cleaned up the stuff in my pack and did my laundry for the rest of my trip.

This morning we got up bright and early and hit the road to finish our trip to Melbourne. I am checked into my hostel right now and am typing this from a computer in the basement. Brendan went to the suburbs to meet a friend of his where he will be staying for a couple of days, so I am my own again for a bit. I wandered around Melbourne which is a pretty nice city, it is actually quite small considering it has a population of over 4 million. I was able to see most of the main stuff today on foot in a couple of hours. Tonight my plan is to catch a movie (Red Eye) and this new Hoyts theatre near by. It is quite the theater, it has 3 different types of theaters within it. There is the directors room which has some sort of special seating and I think serves alcholic beverages, then there is the Halfpipe theater which is where I am seeing Red Eye. According to the ticket person the entire theater has bean bags for seats and is really neat - I wasnt sure I wasnt going to go, but how often do you get to see a movie in a theater in a beanbag so I bought a ticket for 9:10.

Other than that not too much is going on, tomorrow at 8AM I am going to get up and watch an american football game on the Television here, and then spend the rest of the day walking around Melbourne again I suppose. Brendan is meeting me at 6PM and we are going to check out this Crown Casino here which used to be the largest casino in the world (not sure when). It is currently billed as the "largest casino in the southern hemisphere" which really isnt saying much since I dont think Africa and South America are known as large gambling meccas.

I suppose that is all for me for a bit - tomorrow is my last day in Melbourne and I catch a flight the 27th to Sydney for one day of sightseeing, then I head home...

Leave a comment